Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thanking my lucky stars!

I was on my way to Family Memories (my local scrap store) this afternoon to pick up some things I had on hold. I was also planning on swinging by south blvd to run some errands for various things going on towards the end of the week. I had planned on taking Ari with me so Matt could have some veg time but as I was leaving he became pretty cranky; I decided to leave him with Matt for a snack and nap. I made it a little more than half way before I was totally smashed in a car accident! The car in front of me stopped when a huge pickup truck decided not to turn left and went straight through the intersection. I stopped pretty quickly... the car behind me did not. She hit me (estimated speed was 45-50 mph) and the car behind her hit us as well. The back half of my car ended up on the hood of the car behind me. I think there was about three feet of space between my rear tires and the road. Both of the cars that hit me were totaled and mine had to be towed on a flatbed truck! Not quite sure the extent of the damage yet, we're going to try to figure more out tomorrow.



I called Matt right away, he was at home with Ari and I had the car seat with me. Thankfully we were able to call our friends Robert and Tara, Tara came and picked up Ari and Robert brought Matt to the scene. I'm not hurt at all, my neck and back are a little sore and I have a pounding headache but other than that I'm alright. I cannot fathom how horrible I would feel had Ari been in the car with me. I most likely would not be sitting on my sofa, semi-comfortable, telling you all about my day. We would be in the hospital for 23 hour observation! Any other day of the week he would have been with me, Matt would have been at work and I would be completely alone to deal with all of this.

I have been on the phone all evening with insurance adjusters, enterprise rent-a-car, my dad... all I want to do now is curl up with a blanket, a heating pad and a good book! On a lighter note, when I finally got to the point where I could get the rental car they only had one vehicle left on the lot... a minivan! Those of you that know me know how much I detest minivans! Once again I am stuck with one as a rental. This past week in Florida Matt rented a car since he was coming in after Ari and I, when he got there all they had was a Grand Caravan! I laughed at him all day, guess this is payback. We're going to switch it for a "real car" tomorrow evening when they should have more in stock! I am lucky though that I get a rental car at all. Some people can't afford the levels of insurance that we have, it's really come in handy throughout this ordeal!

Needless to say, I accomplished a whole lot of nothing today! I had a huge to-do list that's just going to have to wait. My neck and back are pretty sore right now, I just took a nice hot bubble bath so we will see how I feel in the morning. Hopefully I don't need to get anything examined and I can enjoy the rest of my week rockin' the minivan!! Hope everyone else had a better day than I did... I just keep telling myself that it could have been SO much worse. I am extremely lucky!

I will post more tomorrow when some of the shock has worn off. Matt brought the camera with him to document the crash, the tow truck had already pulled my car off of the stack when he arrived. The damage doesn't look that bad from the photos but I know the worst of it is underneath. We'll just keep our fingers crossed that it's fixable, I was not cited so the other drivers will be responsible for the damage. If it's not fixable I pretty stoked to get a new car. One thing at a time though, and pumpkin picking tomorrow is still at the top of my list!!

4 comments:

Jana Eubank said...

Morgan! I am so glad you are okay! Wow. What an ordeal. You have a good attitude about everything, I'd be bawling my eyes out! Hope you feel better, girl! Get some rest!

Laura S. said...

Thank God you are OK. Car accidents are so scary & what an inconvenience...but the most important thing is you are safe. Hope you feel back to normal soon. Youahould get checked out by a doctor to be sure it isn't whiplash or anything.

Virginia said...

Oh my word, bless your heart. I hope you get a relaxing weekend... that is so stressful! Get some rest!

Kim said...

I'm so glad you're ok!!! There was a reason Ari started getting cranky like that right before you left...God was watching out for BOTH of you!!! I hope you feel better soon!