Sunday, June 29, 2008

Change of plans.

Matt and I have been discussing in great detail the current room configuration upstairs. Right now we have our bedroom, Ari's bedroom and a dedicated guest room. Ari has toys in his room and downstairs in the family room so he has a place to play no matter where we are. His room is the smallest of the three and now that he's getting bigger we figured we could just swap his room with the guest room. Lately though he has been extremely difficult come bed time, so much so that Matt and I are the not-so-proud new owners of a video baby monitor. Yeah, I swore they were unneccesary, at least I'm able to admit when I'm dead wrong. We hooked it up and tried it out last night.

Worst idea ever. Seriously, it was bad. Up 'til now we've been speculating on the causes of the various bumps and crashes we hear, the general consensus was he's jumping and the bangs we hear are the crib hitting the wall. Wrong. It's his face hitting the crib. Think about that for a minute, it was loud enough that we thought it was the wooden crib hitting the wall. I didn't know whether to be mad or sad. For over an hour we watched him literally bloody his face in utter disbelief and shock. Every time we'd try to go in and soothe him it would only get worse. After the third or fourth bloody cleanup we duct-taped beach towels all the way around the crib. It's pathetic, really.

We came downstairs completely defeated with migraine headaches and tried to figure out what to do about this. We cannot let this keep happeneing, you should see him today. He looks like he's been punched in the face. Two black eyes and several bruises on his nose and forehead. Not to mention both fat lips. The only thing we can think is that he is at the age where all he wants to do is play, bed time is for babies and he's certainly not a baby anymore. We think for now the best solution is removing all the distraction from his bedroom so it's for sleeping only. The logical solution is turning the guest room into a play room and keeping his bedroom where it is. But now, what do we do with the guest room?

I give up. We just need a new house. Add to all this the fact that we're 99% sure we are ready for baby #2 in the near future and we really have a conundrum. I think my biggest problem is the guest room, I need to realize that a guest room just isn't possible anymore. We lived without one for 4 years before this house and our guests were fine, we can store the furniture in the garage (it's not like we park in there anyway) until we actually do buy another house. Sheesh, all these decisions....

Well, sorry this turned into such a ramble. It's getting pretty stormy outside so hanging in the baby pool is out. Guess I should tackle the mountain of laundry upstairs and ponder my room situation... I promise to be back later with fun pictures of Ari's half birthday festivities and hopefully some scrappy things.

Oh, I almost forgot... I am proud to be able to tell you that I am a returning member of the Crop Addict Design Team. My last term was up this month and I had such a good time I decided to throw my hat in the ring for the next term and I made it!! It's a huge deal for me, I feel very honored to remain a part of such an amazing team. YAY!!!

7 comments:

bruinbr said...

yikes! sorry to hear about Ari! Hope the removal of any distractions from the room will help! good luck (with Ari, baby #2!?!, and maybe even a new house!) :)

I'm so happy that we're both on the Crop Addict team too :) Woo hoo for us!

Lisa said...

Poor Ari - and you guys too. He just doesn't want to sleep huh? We never really went through that with Cole thankfully. We're so glad we have an extra room downstairs that can be the 'toy room' - it's a lot easier. I hope he starts sleeping better - it must be the terrible two's starting early. Congrats on the DT too - I knew you'd make it and LOVE seeing your stuff!!

Deb said...

Sorry you are having to go through this with Ari right now. Hugs to you. We are in desperate need of a new house at the moment too.

Congrats on the DT! I am so excited to be working with you!!!

Nicole said...

Congrats on the DT. SO excited to be working with you. Sorry to hear Ari is still having a hard time. Hang in there MOM, it's a hard job. {{{HUGS}}}

Laura S. said...

Oh Morgan that is so upsetting. Have you talked to your pediatrician? Maybe they have some suggestions on how to help him settle in without hurting himself.

Big Hugs!!!

Congrats on the DT spot I am so psyched we have another term together!!

Haley said...

I hope that little Ari is doing ok. Also, good luck with all your new plans! Baby #2??? How exciting!

Jen said...

good luck with Mr. Ari! Everytime I mention to dh about a new baby he always mentioned 'those' days.

Congrats on making the DT!!!