Monday, January 7, 2008

Where to begin...

This post is either going to be really long or really short. As I type Ari is upstairs screaming his pretty lil' head off... he won't sleep, won't eat, won't let us hold him, doesn't want to be in his crib, I think you get the gist of it. He's been up ALL day, not one single nap. That's right, the child that normally naps for a total of six hours a day has had none. The day started out alright, he woke up at 8, pretty normal. We had breakfast then a bath and then it was naptime. He tossed, turned, climbed every which way for an hour until I had to get him to go to the doctor.

His checkup went extremely well, they did an X-ray that came back perfectly normal and manually manipulated his hips which was also perfect. Great news, they seem to be healing perfectly! Our next check will be in a year unless for some extremely small chance that he develops some sort of problem before then (a very small percentage of kids do have further issues, very small!). Needless to say he was awake the whole time, ride home included.

We get home, feed him lunch and attempt another nap. He tossed, turned and climbed every which way for another hour until we finally couldn't stand to hear the crying any longer. We took a walk in the new wagon! The weather was near 80 and sunny today, a perfect day to be outside. He had a blast, riding around the block then playing with his flintstones car in the yard for a while too. We were hoping that he'd play enough to be worn out for a nap. No such luck.

As Matt was attempting a third nap I hear a knock at the door. It's my friend Brandy who's just moved a few houses down the street from us! She has 5 kids, ages 10, 4, 3 and 4 week old twins. I haven't seen the babies yet, it's been so cold and I had no idea she lived three houses away, so cool! The babies are adorable, a boy and girl, such little peanuts! She was out enjoying the weather as well and since Ari was refusing to sleep we went for another walk. She came back to the house and we chatted for a while until it was time to start Ari's bedtime routine.

Whew, that brings me to now. He's still crying, I don't know what else to do. He can't be hungry, he ate dinner and has had more than enough formula... I'm giving him 20 more minutes then we're calling the doctor. I hate to be one of the moms that calls the doctor for every little thing but this is really not normal for him. He's a good sleeper, and he's never not let me hold him. He was pushing away from me with both arms and legs, my ribs are sore from trying not to splat him on the floor. If anyone has any helpful advice within the next 20 minutes let me know.

Here are a few pictures from our walk today, I'm going to go check on him one last time...


ElizaG said...

Hi Morgan,
Your instincts to call the doctor are right on. That's what pediatricians are here for. You know your baby better than anyone and if you feel something is amiss, then it usually is (probably just the beginning of an earache or something). I don't want to give you unsolicited advice but since you asked!...I think he may be sleeping too much during the day. Once you get Ari checked out and he's A-OK I would try to get him down to 2 naps a day. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old so I've been through this twice now. I only wish I knew then with my 1st what I know now! THIS WILL PASS! I promise. And you will have many more phases like this too! Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Chrissy Le said...

Awww Morgan, I hope he's doing okay! Did you check his temp? He might be teething? I agree with elizag, he's sleeping too much during the day. When Ruthie was his age, she slept for about 3-4 hours a day tops. One 2-hour nap, and one 1-1.5 hour nap. I don't let her sleep more than that. Then naptime is at 8:00PM, no matter what....if he has a slight temp tonight, give him baby tylenol... and take him to the doc tomorrow.

noelmignon said...

Aww poor guy! I hope all went well last night!

He's such a cute baby!