Saturday, February 16, 2008

Reclaiming my house!

Whew, I was SO busy today. Well, I should say "we" because Matt and Ari were big helpers too! Since Matt has a break of 6 days off I thought I'd take advantage of the time and reclaim the house. The neighbors have moved in to their rental house down the street, they are slowly but surely settling in and unloading all of the donations from us. I will have my foyer and living room back by tomorrow night ;)

I headed out to Home Depot this morning for a wheelbarrow so we could start ripping out the hideously ugly bushes out front. They were blocking the window and they're poisonous... not such a great thing for a super curious 14 month old that puts any and everything in his mouth. The previous owners chose to use white rocks instead of mulch, thus the need for the wheelbarrow to get those suckas outta here! Thank goodness for the giant hill behind the house, it's now got a nice border of white rock behind our fence! It's keeping wild things from digging under the fence too, so double bonus. Anyway, here's a photo of everything cleared out. I seemed to have misplaced the before photo, but just picture a row of 5 super tall prickly holly trees and a bed of rocks and you get the idea...



We plan to do a curved bed of black mulch with low lying soft plantings. Probably some tall grasses on the corner to soften the front. The one thing I hated about the stuff that was there before was how cold and uninviting it made the enterance to our house. Nothing like a giant poisonous plant to scream "get off my porch". The rest of the bushes along the right side of the door are going to be removed Monday. Matt needs a break, he says he's not wired for manual labor... ha! He did really well though, I'm surprised we got as much done today as we did. That was even with Ari picking up every rock he saw and throwing it right where I'd raked it away from! He's SO curious and into everything, he looked like a giant ball of dead grass by the time we came inside. I'm now sweeping and mopping the family room after him!

Tomorrow will most likely bring more of the same, work outside... work inside. It feels really good to have my house back, all it needs is a good coat of Swiffer and I'm done!

Oh, I can't leave you without pics of the crazy kid! Here you go...



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you have been busy ! YAY that the hubby is home with you :) That is cool that your neighbors are getting settled, i think about them alot . Ari is soooooo cute in those photos ! He has those big baby blues like my boys ! Cant wait to see what your outside looks like when you are all done :) have a great sunday :) TTYS !
Jenn XXXX

Jana Eubank said...

The house looks great, Morgan! Glad you get some time together this week as a family. Don't work too hard! ;)

Deanna said...

Love landscaping, and love all your ideas! Can't wait to see it all come to fruition! Oh, and I can't help but chuckle when I see those pics of Ari! You're about to have some fun, and not know what's hit ya! hehehehe!

Michon said...

OMG! He is soooooo stinking cute!