Thursday, October 23, 2008

No news is good news, right?

Man, I tell ya. I have every intention of blogging but tell myself, "I'll do it later" and later never seems to come. Things have been absolutely wonderful here and I have been thoroughly enjoying life lately. Ari has been going to a sitter twice a week for some away from Mommy time and I have enjoyed having a few hours to myself. He is back in Gymboree or "buree buree" as he calls it. He also has a new playgroup that meets on Monday mornings. It's more just for us moms to chat but the kids play wonderfully together. It's just him and two other toddlers and he thrives in small group settings so it's a win-win!

Speaking of the little one... He is growing by leaps and bounds! Not physically, he's still the same size he was last year but man is his vocabulary exploding. Every day he says at least a dozen new words and is starting to speak in short sentences! It's so cool, I find myself staring at him with my mouth wide open and more than a few times I've yelled "Did you hear that Daddy?" I am so in awe with him, even not so good days are still amazing. We're still having eating issues but are slowly working through it. I've gotten some great therapist referrals from some mommy friends and we're keeping that door open if we need to go that route in the near future.

I've been involved in some new and exciting ventures lately too. I'm participating in a vendor fair where I will be selling handmade cards and various other holiday items. I have some orders already and couldn't be more excited! Oh, I went out with a friend for coffee this morning and we stopped by a new scrapbook store in our town. While we were there I was chatting with the new owner, she's SO cute and sweet and lo & behold I walked out with a job! I know, shocking! It's not a "real" job, I will be designing for the store and I've already started three projects with three more on the horizon. I will be teaching classes also and I couldn't be more excited. How cool is it to be getting paid for doing something that you love so much. I am just waiting for things to come crashing down around me because no one can be this immensly happy and not have it fall apart. I'm just going to continue crossing my fingers!

I've mentioned a few new mommy friends and that's another good thing that's happened. I joined our local "branch" of The Mommies Network! It's an online community but local at the same time. I've met dozens of mommies and kiddos and made some great new friends. We have Moms Night Out at least once a month and endless playdates. Ari and I are both thriving and I think Matt is enjoying our new almost always happy and cheerful demeanor! Man, again it's a win-win for everyone involved!

Ari and I will be going to Florida to visit my dad in a few weeks. He has relocated to Jacksonville and while it wasn't technically his choice things seem to be going well. With this disaster of an economy you have to do what you have to do and while he gave up his dream location he gained a better paying job. In the end it will all work out I'm sure. Anyway, he called a few days ago and asked if I would be willing to come down and help him with a project. Of course I said yes and asked what was going on. Apparently there is an elementary school near his new workplace and 4 children that go to that school have died tragically this school year. One child was hit by a car speeding through the crosswalk after school. Another was a victim of domestic violence and died of a gunshot wound. Yet another was a victim of gunshot, he and his mom were carjacked. The fourth drowned in a swimming pool. More than once I have cried for these children and their families and as I type this the tears start again. My heart is broken, I don't even know what to say. I can say that I will NEVER take for granted how truly fortunate I am. There aren't words. I will be helping many volunteers build a memorial garden for these poor children, taking photographs of the memorial garden event and creating scrapbooks for each family and the school. It's the absolute least I can do.

Well, talk about ending on a sour note. I just don't know what else to follow that with. I'm heading to bed, I have some very full days ahead of me. We have a birthday party tomorrow for our adorable neighbor boy. It's at a lodge and there will be pony rides, a petting zoo, hayride and tons of other fun things. You can bet I'll be taking my camera!! Saturday we were invited to a local school carnival and I think it sounds fun, if for no other reason that to get some cotton candy. Yes, I am a big giant child at heart!! See you later, hopefully I'll have the energy to share some pictures with you.

1 comment:

Virginia said...

So good to read all the good stuff going on in your life! HUGE congrats on the cool designing opportunities, although no surprise there. :) That's fabulous! I hope you can take pics of stuff and show us your creations here on your bloggity-blog.

The memorial garden sounds like a very touching project. My prayers go out to those families- that's horrible.

Hope you have a great weekend- we are headed to the fall festival at the local school too. It must be the weekend for it!

hugs!